You might well ask: Why should I subscribe to this free online magazine? Aren’t there already many similar publications out there?
It’s true that there are plenty of wonderful animal rights/veg sites already. But the Positive Animal is a beast of a different color: when you sign up for your free subscription, you’ll receive news and human-interest stories you’ve probably never read in English, practical psychological tools to inject happiness into your advocacy and special action lists encouraging vegans to work together around the world.
How’s that for an agenda? We believe that everyone, from the top executive to the university student, can benefit from this site and also contribute to it in significant ways.
Part of my promise to you is that you won’t like every person or organization featured, nor every point of view expressed. That’s because our group is diverse. I humbly suggest we shelve our differences and focus on the fact we all love animals and want a better life for them.
The idea for this project sprang up when we noticed that the animal rights/veg news reaching the US came mostly from anglophone countries, and that many exciting stories developing internationally, but told in languages other than English, rarely made it all the way here. So our first purpose is to create an English-speaking platform presenting thought-provoking concepts, products, events, associations and individuals from a diversity of countries.
It’s our privilege to chronicle, and sometimes be an incubator for, the endeavors of international thought-pollinators, some well-known, some not, who are part of this movement for a kinder planet. May their stories inspire us to play a greater part and do it with humor and good cheer.
- We screen for the good news and victories in the field of international animal advocacy/veganism.
- Our writing hopefully focuses on and promotes positive emotions: We don’t hate animal abusers, we love animals and kindness. We don’t focus on the horror of farmed animals’ suffering, we focus on the peace and happiness of rescued animals and on the heroes who care for them. We’d like to see angry words transformed into thoughtful and efficient action. We’re not frustrated with omnivores, we’ve almost all been in their shoes before, we delight in our veg lifestyle. This promotes our own happiness and makes our discourse much more accessible.
- We frame our stories in non-dogmatic, non-inflammatory language and are inclusive of efforts and actors from all walks of life.
- We introduce a variety of organizations from abroad, but also motivate readers to be creative and start projects or collaborations with colleagues from their own country or overseas.
- We explore how to use the tools of positive psychology in the context of animal advocacy and veganism, helping translate the advice from experts into measures that can bring us improved happiness and efficiency as we try to make life better for all animals.
- We are a networking platform for organized as well as independent advocates everywhere, including those isolated individuals from countries just beginning their animal rights journey.
Science has shown that helping others boosts our own happiness—let’s get really happy!